Hiring A Wedding Calligrapher
Are you thinking about hiring a Wedding Calligrapher? Not sure where to start with planning your wedding invitations? We chatted with Bethany from Joy Unscripted. An amazing Wedding Calligrapher in Asheville, North Carolina.
What does a couple need to know before booking you?
What are your top tips for couples about stationery for their wedding?
- Have the basic colors in mind for your wedding, but more so, think about the kind of atmosphere you want! Invitation suites are the first real glimpse your guests get into your day/weekend, and you want them to be excited, but also know what to expect once they arrive! Basically, we’re making the prettiest information guide we possibly can!!
- I always recommend ordering 5-10 extras / as keepsakes, when someone ‘loses’ one, when the mail loses one when you forgot great Aunt Sally on your address list… it happens!!
- In terms of the services I offer… the artwork and calligraphy are attention-grabbing and why my clients want to work with me, but I often hear how grateful my clients were for the full assembly option!! Typically your invitation suites are getting mailed around the time you’re having to make some other pretty crucial decisions… having me put everything all together (especially when wax seals are involved) and mailed out directly to your guests can be a huge stress relief! Some people think DIY means they get to see everything, but I always mail a complete set to the couple just like they’re a guest so they get the full experience!!
- Not all calligraphers are stationers, and not all stationers are calligraphers. I happen to be BOTH… which means that you can have matching/coordinating suite and day-of pieces! My calligraphy and/or my artwork can be used for things like place cards, menus, programs, signature drink cocktails, etc!
What is your favorite invitation style?
- White or colored ink on at least one, if not multiple colored insert cards
I love when the text color is a ‘darker’ version of the card color too
with muted or even blind background artwork
- Coordinating artwork printed on the back of the envelope
- Envelope calligraphy on the front for guest names and addresses
- If they have the budget then either a wax seal and/or envelope liner based on the overall style
What is your favorite color palette?
How long have you been a stationer?
If you could give couples any advice what would it be?
What is something you wish brides knew when they come to you?
Having custom invitations designed is a special process, and a totally different world from Minted… and so is the investment. I have a lot of detailed information in my new website including average costs, a brand new 2020/2021 Stationery Guide, FAQ pages and more, but I value communication with my (prospective) clients and always being available via email to answer any questions!!
Oh, and most people forget to factor in postage for invitations! This is likely ~$1.50/set!!
If you are just starting all your wedding planning adventures be sure to check out our Ultimate Month to Month Wedding Planning Guide.